Best 7 Plant Nurseries & Garden Centers in Carmel, NY
Now that spring has sprung, you may be itching to start a garden or an outdoor project. Whether you need plants, design services, or full-service garden installation, the nurseries in and around Carmel have you covered. Here are Meadowland GMC‘s top seven picks for local plant nurseries in Carmel.
Kent Countryside Nursery
Kent Countryside Nursery is a family-owned company serving the local area for over 20 years. Covering over 4,000 square feet, Kent’s has the supplies you need for your garden project. Kent’s offers:
- Greenhouse products: Kent’s large greenhouse is home to a massive assortment of annual flowers, herbs, vegetables, and hanging baskets.
- Trees: The tree area includes healthy, landscape-sized specimens of flowering, screening, fruit producers, and shade trees.
- Shrubs: Kent’s offers sun- and shade-loving shrubs, including evergreen, deciduous, flowering, and deer-resistant varieties.
- Perennials/Grasses: With thousands of varieties, Kent Countryside Nursery has a little something for everyone. The knowledgeable staff at Kent’s can help you find the perfect plants for any lawn setting.
- Landscaping materials: Colored mulch, sweet peat, topsoil, compost, sand, gravel, and sod are available for pickup or delivery.
- Grass seed: Kent’s offers four varieties of grass seed, including contractor grade, sun/shade premium, landscaper mix, and dense shade.
- Fertilizer: Keep your plants vibrant and healthy with a fertilizer. Kent’s carries conventional and organic fertilizers.
- Pest control: Protect your plants with a natural or conventional pest control product.
- Garden tools: No matter what you are working on, Kent’s can help you do it faster and easier. Kent’s carries a variety of commercial-grade garden tools, including shovels, wheelbarrows, hoses, and rakes.
- Hardscapes: Kent’s sells and installs materials for fire pits, water features, retaining walls, patios, and walkways.
Kent’s also offers landscape design and installation services. Kent’s horticultural scientist and experienced digital design staff can make your garden dreams a reality. Visit Kent Countryside Nursery on Ludington Court. Current hours are weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hardscrabble Farms has over 80 acres of plants and trees. Plants include roses, grasses, perennials, ferns, ground cover, and native plants. Trees include towering evergreens, shade trees, fruit-bearers, dwarf conifers, and hardy shrubs. Check out Hardscrabble Farms’ robust webpage to learn about plants, proper plant care, and current nursery availability. A short, 13-minute drive will take you to Hardscrabble Farms on Hardscrabble Road in North Salem. Hours are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you are looking for exotic orchids, look no further than Venamy Orchids. Venamy has a considerable assortment of potted orchids, including Dendrobiums, Phalaenopsis, Cymbidiums, and Paphiopedilums. The variety of orchid colors and shapes is truly astounding. In addition, to live plants, Venamy also offers orchid-specific potting mixes, pots, baskets, and cut orchid stems. Venamy Orchids is on NY-22 in Brewster, only 13 minutes away from Carmel. Hours are weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Online ordering and delivery are available.
Petersen’s Patterson Greenhouses
Serving the area since 1943, Petersen’s Patterson Greenhouses is the oldest and largest nursery in the area. This locally-owned and operated nursery is known for its beautiful, healthy plants and knowledgeable staff. The extensive greenhouse holds an abundance of flowering annuals, perennials, succulents, and exotics. Petersen’s also has a plethora of trees and shrubs on site. Not sure what to do with your lawn? Petersen’s experienced staff can help plan and plant the landscape of your dreams. Petersen’s also offers floral arrangements for any event. Visit Petersen’s Patterson Greenhouses on Route 311 in Patterson, only 15 minutes away. Hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Berkshire Nursery and Supply
Berkshire Nursery and Supply have multiple greenhouses full of plants and supplies. Here are just a few of the items you will find at Berkshire:
- Nursery: indoor plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs
- Garden supplies: mulch, topsoil, fertilizer, weed control, peat moss, shovels, and hoses
- Outdoor living: statues, birdbaths, fountains, picnic tables, and lounge chairs
- Hardscape items: crushed stone, sand, cement, pavers, and fire pits
In addition to conventional garden care items, Berkshire also carries many organic and non-toxic options. Berkshire Nursery and Supply is 15 minutes away on NY-22 in Patterson. Hours are Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Whispering Pine Garden Center and Florist
Whispering Pine Garden Center and Florist have been family-owned since 1956. The garden center has six greenhouses full of organic vegetables, flowering plants, shrubs, herbs, succulents, tropical plants, and hanging baskets. Other offerings include outdoor furniture, garden statues, birdhouses, local artwork, hand-made pottery, wind chimes, seeds, and cut flowers. Garden supplies such as fertilizer, weed killer, and topsoil can be purchased in the garden center store. Local farm products are also for sale, including maple syrup, honey, and eggs. Whispering Pines’ professional landscaping staff can help you transform your yard and make it both beautiful and functional.
Whispering Pine Garden Center and Florist are only 20 minutes away on Windsor Road in Yorktown Heights. Hours are Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Gossett Brothers Nursery
The Gossett Brothers Nursery has been family-owned and operated for over 35 years. The nursery offers a variety of annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, succulents, bulbs, and seeds. Garden supplies, fountains, statues, and birdbaths are available in the nursery store.
In addition to plants, Gossett Brothers Nursery also provides complete landscaping services from design to installation. They are also one of the only local landscapers to offer tree moving services. Thanks to their specialized equipment, the nursery staff can move any size tree anywhere. The nursery is also home to a Farmers’ Market every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market is a great place to find locally produced fruits, vegetables, honey, baked goods, fish, meat, and dairy products.
Gossett Brothers Nursery is 26 minutes away on Old Post Road in South Salem. They are open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
There you have Meadowland GMC‘s top seven nurseries in the Carmel area. If you know of any other hidden gems in the area, drop us a line and let us know. Our dedicated team will be sure to add it to our list.